Thursday, November 20, 2008

Borders of the Mind.

This little poem is my entry for The Open Space – Harper Collins Poetry Contest 2008. The theme is borders, and it suddenly struck me to write more about the psychological borders and limits we set ourselves, than the physical borders that we all know about anyway.

Its based losely on the idea of the previous song, but it contains several other parts which I had inserted in the original draft but could not fit to the tune that we set for the song. 

The poem is a bit different, not something that people generally open up to, very easily. The thought is a bit dark so I have no idea how its going to be received. Its the idea of going insane and reaching out beyond the borders of sane minds and crossing that border to free thought. I hope its worth a shot for submitting.


Once upon a time,
I had left my mind,
I crossed the line,
And the border of sanity.

I began to see,
Beauty of such degree,
Across this borderline.

All we have to do,
Is to cross that line,
The one that holds us in,
Inside a sane mind.

That is how I know,
The joy to be alone,
Yet never to be by myself.

We somehow only see,
What we choose to see,
We're trapped by sanity,
And its cruel confines.

You can be my friend,
Until the borders end,
Or until we get lost, together.

Deep inside my mind,
I can see the borderline,
The only fear that I hold,
Is of losing myself.

Buts once I understand,
The truth, it makes me pause,
As I realize that I never was.

Its not self destruction,
Its more about frustration,
At the limits of the world,
And the saner brains.

And now I can have fun,
Knowing I can outrun,
My own mortal oblivion.

Now you know,
Why people go insane,
You should know,
It helps to deal with pain.

I should know,
Cause, I have done the same.
Crossed the border,
Changed my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 2 cents: