Monday, September 15, 2008

The Dogtown Wars.

Im currently working shortish-long story, something along the lines of SinCity and a very 60's cliched style of writing. This post here is the prologue of the same story. I'll be posting and updating chapters in a separate blog, after my exams get over.
So give this a read and tell me your views so I can work on it and update the story as it develops.

Chapter 1: Prologue.

The last thing I remember was the gunshot, but I couldn't really complain under the circumstance could I. I mean, I knew I was in for a rough time ever since she shimmied through the door. The light making a beautiful silhouette of her perfect body and that long cigarette burning a hole through my mind.

"Got a light?", the question sounded like a poem coming from her perfect red lips. I was surprised the cigarette didn't light itself at such beautiful words. I fumbled with the lighter before she came over, oh so coolly, and lit her cigarette. I wasn't too sure if it was the reflection of the fire in her eyes or something more sinister. I made my peace with the reflection argument, I would find out the truth later on.

There were a million questions running through my mind, "Who is she? Why does she seem so familiar? Whats she doing here? and What does she want?". I decided to start with the first one and work my way down.

"So, I dint quite get your name", very original, Casanova.

"Mylene" she whispered, "Mylene Rivers."

I'm sure she heard my stomach hit the ground. Guess that answers my second question. Now I'm not sure if I should ask the other two. After all, no one will want to be sitting face to face with the mistress of the biggest mobster in Dogtown.

Vadim "The Russian" Alexiev. Few people dared to cross paths with Vadim, those who did had been missing for a long time now. I did not wish to be one of them.

"So you either need my help, or want me dead. Which is it that brings you knocking on my door?"

"I heard about you," the reply seemed convincing, "The cops cant help as Vadi pretty much owns the force, anyone else, and I'm dooming them with me."

"Aah, so you DO want me dead." Maybe I shouldn't be so judgmental, "what makes you so sure I can help you anyway?"

Her answer seemed rehearsed, like one of those actors practicing their lines in front of a mirror a million times, just to get the emotion right, whatever it was, I fell for it; hook, line and sinker.

"I read your story" she said, "about how the Force kicked you out after you killed that kid, how everyone calls you mentally unstable, and how they say you are the only man who could stand up against the mobs of Dogtown."

"You're right on the first count, the second is just a matter of perspective, and as for the third, I wouldn't trust the people who told you that." I felt the need to clear her illusions about me. "What 'they' say is not completely true. Yes, I did take up a little battle against your 'loverboy', " I couldn't help but grin, "and yes I'm still alive, for the most part. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna get lucky again, and there ain't no way I'm putting my neck on the line for no damn good reason, even if the reason is a pretty dame like you."

She replied before I finished my point, "From what I heard, you dint get lucky. Aren't you the man they call Vic Sullivan? or maybe I'm looking for the man you used to be."

"That was a long time ago Miss Rivers. Times have changed, the mob owns Dogtown now, people disappear into the shadows and the body count keeps rising everyday. I don't intend to become just another statistic in the fight between the Russians and the Italians." Every word of this was true. These days everyone was included in the battle for Dogtown. You were either with a side or against it, each side either got you rich quick or dead quicker, it all depended on how good you were at killing people.

"Well I need your help Vic, and I know for a fact that you are the best man for the job. And if you need a reason, I'll give you 200 large for your help," She slapped down one of those thick brown envelopes which you just knew were filled with cash, "Thats a 100,00 , you get the rest after."

She did have a point, sure she was the Mob lord's woman, and sure she had the money in her hand, but I'd be damned if any man could say no once he looked into those beautiful brown eyes. Curse you, Mylene, I knew then, you'd be the end of me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 2 cents: