Monday, September 1, 2008

The Ripple Effect.

Whoever said that you can't make everyone happy was right. It's just impossible to take a decision at such a complex level that you can make all the people involved somehow content. Yes, people will grudgingly accept their temporary "happiness" with the action we take. But in reality not all people are going to be particularly thrilled about it. Many people have thought of this, and I'm sure have written more vastly about it, but few people think of the repercussions of this.

What I'm trying to say is, if we cant make everyone happy, we have to somehow get used to disappointing people. No one understands exactly how easily and on such a large scale we let down the people we know or the people we love. If we do manage to sit back and analyze the moments in which a small action has hurt someone we love unintentionally, then we will feel a great weight of guilt and sadness.

People claim they examine every angle of their decision before taking action on one course. But the truth is, we can never possibly and convincingly examine all the aspects of the ramifications of our action. I recently had some time to realize how many decisions I myself made at critical points of my life which must have hurt people close to me. But what really freaks me out is that I don't really feel the sense of guilt that should be approaching me menacingly.

Once I tried to fathom the depth of my actions, I had, for a moment, forgotten about what lies on the surface. I was so engrossed in following the ripples of that action that, for some time, I didn't realize that the decision I took at that time was made to the best of my knowledge. Either people don't have time to fully examine the ripples or certain circumstances keep us from doing so. Until people who we affected don't come and tell us how those decisions hurt them, we don't give them a second thought.

At this point I was okay. I was thinking I might feel bad. But I didn't. Thats what made me write this post. I have now realized that I can't help it. I have to take certain decisions which will end up hurting some people, and I can't help that. I cannot avoid it, nor can I evade it. It's the reaction to an action, and the people should realize the depth of thinking which goes into taking such an action. Maybe, if they did have my depth of thinking then they would realize that the effects are unavoidable and someone is bound to get hurt.

Thats life. You can't please everyone. You just need to make peace with the fact that you will somehow end up hurting someone, and you have to let it go. If you try and think about everyone while making big decisions, you will finally end up taking the wrong course of action. Trust me, I have done that more than once. Its better someone else be hurting than you yourself.



----------------
Now playing: Danny Elfman - The Little Things
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Your 2 cents: